PROMENADE PERFORMANCES (See below for documentation)
1. Information for Foreigners by Griselda Gambaro. Directed by Yvonne Coughlan as Masters Project, UCC. Granary Theatre. 2003
2. The Haunted History Tour written and directed by Yvonne Coughlan. Cork City Gaol 2006-7
3. The Clock Gate Tower Hangings written and directed by Yvonne Coughlan. Youghal Medieval Festival 2007
8. Culture Night 2009-The Energy of Life written and directed by Yvonne Coughlan. 25 September 2009
12. Lady of the Castle devised and directed by Yvonne Coughlan. Animated tours of Blackrock Castle Observatory. 2011
17. Culture Night. Lifetime Lab.
- The Energy of Life written and directed by Yvonne Coughlan, 2009
- The River of Imagination written and directed by Yvonne Coughlan, 2010
34. Irish HeARTS (promenade theatre-art installations) See The Gathering RSVP 2013-14
- We all mourn (contemporary dance) (documentary film)
- Sorted Like (short film)
- The Glen Studios (cinema)
- Tír na Nóg (art project)
- Harmony (singing workshop) Caz Jeffreys. Rik Appleby. Moira O'Brien.
- The Hidden World (poetry workshop) Adam Wyeth.
43. FAST; Freelance, Acting, Singing, Troupe. 2016-2018
- A Forest Full of Frolics by Yvonne Coughlan. Townlands. July 2016
- Frolics in the wood. Culture Night September 2016
1. Information for foreigners by Griselda Gambaro. Directed by Yvonne Coughlan.
How can Information for foreigners be done?
A practical exploration of the factors, which influence a production of Griselda Gambaro's play / Yvonne Coughlan.
(Inset. Kieran McCarthy- Guide)
A practical Master's Thesis involved the production of Information for Foreigners by Griselda Gambaro, 2003, a theatre piece, which involved 40 actors and 20 crew, using 13 stages/sets, to depict the scenes of this politically charged performance, to 4 audience groups on the same evening. Over 5 nights, for each performance, the audience gather, the show begins, and the audience are then divided into 4 groups. The audience must begin and end together, but each group is to remain separated in the interim, as instructed by the playwright. Yvonne explored and developed the theories of Artaud's 'Theatre of Cruelty' in her work, both practically and academically in this thesis. The practical work also involved training inexperienced performers, alongside amateur and professional actors, using workshop techniques she developed from a study of practitioners such as Stanislavsky, Meyorhold, Brecht, Checkov, Brook, and Grotowski.
2. The Haunted History Tour 2006-7
The Haunted History Tour written, directed and produced by Yvonne Coughlan; Cork City Gaol.
90 minute site specific promenade involving ten actors. Audience are treated as prisoners once they enter the prison and divided into four groups by their warders. Each audience group experiences 18th Century prison life and meets 'real' prisoners on this dramatic tour of the Gaol. Their warders must be obeyed.
1 Feb-12 May, each Thurs. Fri. Sat. 2007.
"An impressive cast of young actors has been assembled[...] The haunted ambience of this drama-cum-tour is brought to vivid life by a script full of historical erudition and the creation of a howling, murderous and haunted atmosphere that attests to the human suffering these walls must surely have borne witness to. [...] The script by Red Sandstone Varied Production's Yvonne Coughlan was excellent and the acting was enjoyably credible. [...] This is a memorable dramatic rendering of a vital part of Cork history and you must see it."
Frank Hanover. Evening Echo. Feb. 2007.
The logistics for The Haunted History Tour came from Yvonne's experience of adhering to the directions of Griselda Gambaro, in a practical thesis for her MA Studies of Drama and Theatre at UCC in 2003.
John Allen Images
3. The Clock Gate Tower Hangings 2007
The Clock Gate Tower Hangings written, directed and produced by Yvonne Coughlan.
Specially commissioned 30 minute scripted performance and 90 minutes of improvised performance, by six actors, in town garden. Performance based on factual events of 1797.
Youghal Medieval Festival, Co. Cork, Ireland. 26 August. 2007.
Starring: Livy Riordan, Kieran McCarthy, Karol Mann, Martyna Lawton (inset), Rebecca Dove Dennard and Catherine O'Donovan.
8. Culture Night 2009-"The Energy of Life" 25 September 2009.
12. Lady of the Castle. Animated Tours of Blackrock Castle Observatory. 2011
CIT Blackrock Castle Observatory, one of Cork’s best known landmarks offered these daily ‘behind the scenes’ theatrical tours for all customers visiting the award winning Cosmos at the Castle exhibition.
Taking place at 13.30 and 15.30h every day Lady Castle, a time traveler from the 16th Century would lead you on a historical journey to the Tower and the Dungeon, a National Monument, bringing the past, present and future together. As you walk down to the dungeon and up the 85 steps to the watch tower of the skies, Lady Castle regales all of tales of her life experiences during her time in the Castle.
Lady of the Castle was played by Francesca Collard, Noelle O'Regan, Paula McGlinchey (below)
17. Culture Night. Lifetime Lab. 2010
- The Energy of Life written and directed by Yvonne Coughlan, 2009.
- The River of Imagination written and directed by Yvonne Coughlan, 2010
34. Irish HeARTS (promenade theatre combined with art installations) Aug. 2014.
Co-created and produced by Yvonne Coughlan as part of The Gathering RSVP 2013-14.
Take the following link to our dedicated page for details-
Image-We all mourn
Artistic medium contemporary dance.
Product documentary film)
(John Allen Images)
- Sorted Like (collaborative script writing/ short film installation) Dir. Steve Broekhuizen.
- The Glen Studios (work in progress feedback/ twice weekly cinema nights)
- Tír na Nóg (Elaine Garde art project)
- Harmony (singing workshop/ music video installation) Choirmaster Caz Jeffreys. Sound engineer/ Producer Rik Appleby/Lionheart Productions. DOP/ Editor Moira O'Brien/Friendly Ghost Films.
- The Hidden World (poetry workshop) Facilitator Adam Wyeth. Live poetry reading Installation.
FAST is an acronym for Freelance, Acting, Singing, Troupe, and descriptive of their fast performance, which can be billed as a 15 minute interlude in musical theatre, performed walkabout style, in any field near you. The group can play to one person, just as well as to 100, and adults and children alike will enjoy the performance.
They offer a 5minute interactive version of dancing in the rain, for festival goers dashing between showers, and are most excellent themselves at enduring Irish festival weather.
If they discover an indoor venue in need of ambience they can fill it with the 30 minute version of the show. Whatever your event, it will be enhanced by a FAST visit! Their debut took place at Townlands Carnival July 2016 with 'A forest full of Frolics.'
The 2016 team were Joe Lyons, Cathal O'Donovan, Tanya Adamson and Yvonne Coughlan.
CULTURE NIGHT Web
(Culture Night Fri 16th Sept 2016)
the FAST team delivered the 12 minute musical comedy Frolics in the Wood AT
1. THE Bodega, Cornmarket Street, Cork. 4pm, 5pm, 6pm & 7pm
Friday 16th September 2016. On Culture Night, arts and cultural organisations and venues of all shapes and sizes, including the National Cultural Institutions, extend their opening hours to allow for increased access to the public. Special and unique events and workshops are specifically programmed at participating locations and everything is available free of charge to the public. Culture Night is an annual all-island public event that celebrates culture, creativity and the arts.